Wednesday, July 25, 2007

USB 2.0 vs Firewire..

So, generally, when I do video editing it's on dedicated machine (read: internal harddrives)...
I did do little bits here and there with external drives, but for sure only minimal amounts with my external USB drives...

As such, I decided to do a bit of investigating after our discussion in class...

Turns out, there are more differences between the underlying architectures of usb and firewire.... so for video firewire is better...

At least according to this article:
http://www.thedvshow.com/faq-pro/index.php?action=article&cat_id=004&id=210

I think for little things (like our little videos) it's still going to be ok... but nonetheless wanted to share this tidbit since I thought they were more interchangeable than they actually are.

1 comment:

Ravi said...

Excellent post, Seth!

So now I can give some reasons for extoling the virtues of FireWire over USB 2.0.

Another factor to look at when considering firewire drive is the actual RPM speed of the drive. You'll often see drives that are spec'ed at 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM.

The faster a drive can spin, the less likely you are to get any anomolies (drop outs, for instance) when capturing video.